Chroming involves inhaling metallic paints, solvents, petrol, aerosol cans, and other household chemicals.
A 13-year-old Melbourne girl died after inhaling dangerous chemicals, and her family has called for action to prevent further deaths. During a sleepover on March 31, 2023, Esra Haynes inhaled aerosol deodorant as part of a popular social media trend called chroming. She suffered irreparable brain damage after going into cardiac arrest.
After suffering a cardiac arrest, the teenager spent eight days on life support until the family decided to turn off the machines.
her sister said ”She then spent about 1.5 weeks in hospital fighting for her life, her lungs and her heart were strong but her brain just didn’t recover. We, unfortunately, had to say goodbye to her,” her sister said.
After her death, Paul and Andrea Haynes have been on a mission to raise awareness for children who participate in such dangerous trends. The family is now urging children to avoid making the same mistake as their daughter, as they didn’t know what chroming was until they heard that their daughter was in the hospital.
It is unquestionable that this will be our crusade to make sure other children don’t fall into the silly trap of doing this silly thing. “No matter how much you lead them to water, anyone can drag them away. It is something she wouldn’t have done on her own,” Mr Haynes told the Herald Sun.
A mandatory CPR lesson should also be taught in schools, as well as safer deodorant formulas.
In a statement to 7News last month, Imogen said, “We don’t want another family to go through this, it’s absolutely horrible.”
Chrome is the act of inhaling metal paints, solvents, petrol, aerosol cans, and other household chemicals that act as depressants, according to 7News.com.au. It slows down brain activity and affects the central nervous system, producing a short-term “high.”
Chroming is more prevalent among young people without access to other drugs, according to the American Addiction Centres