In a saga of family loyalty and betrayal, SummerSlam 2023 promises to deliver an intense main event that will see Roman Reigns defending his WWE Universal Championship against his cousin, Jey Uso. The Bloodline storyline began with Reigns and Jey, but it took a tumultuous turn as tensions grew within the faction.
The bond between the Tribal Chief, Roman Reigns, and Jey Uso seemed unbreakable for the past three years. Jey’s presence protected Reigns, but the breaking point came when Reigns humiliated and attacked his twin brother, Jimmy Uso. Jey, also known as ‘Main Event’ Jey, decided to prioritize his family bond over The Bloodline’s success, leading to the intense rivalry between him and Reigns.
The timeline of events leading to their showdown at SummerSlam 2023 is filled with dramatic moments:
- At Hell in a Cell 2020, Reigns forced Jey to say “I Quit” to establish himself as the leader of the family and retain the WWE Universal Championship.
- The formation of The Bloodline with Reigns, Jey, Jimmy Uso, Solo Sikoa, and Sami Zayn (as an honorary member) followed, with some internal conflicts between Jey and Reigns’ decisions.
- Jey temporarily left The Bloodline but eventually returned to solidify his alliance with Reigns.
- After losing the Undisputed Tag Team Titles, The Usos turned on Reigns, leading to Jey pinning him for the first time in three years during a match.
- Jey challenged Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship, officially setting up the SummerSlam 2023 main event.
- The stipulation for their match was revealed as “Tribal Combat” during a contract signing, adding an emotional and cultural touch to their battle.
As the Bloodline Civil War reaches its climax at SummerSlam 2023, the WWE Universe eagerly awaits the clash of these two powerful forces in a match that symbolizes family, loyalty, and the pursuit of greatness.